Old 06-08-2006, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray[_1_] Ray[_1_] is offline

Default Orchids R in season....or not!

It was meant more as a poke than a slap, but either one works...

If the plants normally respond to seasonal changes in light level, it's hard
to say, but I have seen southern hemisphere plants get freaked out by the
northern hemisphere and end up blooming more than once a year.

FWIW, I've had plants bloom out of season after a much needed cleaning of
the GH glazing!

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Okay, I'll take that as a good natured and well deserved slap upside the
head, Ray! Also important is that many of my plants are maturing now.

But: how does that translate into orchids that normally (and correctly)
flower only once annually deciding to go for the gold several times a
year, or change the seasons in which they bloom altogether?

Diana

"Ray" wrote in message
. ..
I think you said it yourself, Diana:

"Repot in a more timely manner and do some more fertilizing that [you]
used to..."

Let's see, less stress and more nutrition...Naaahh, that couldn't affect
blooming.

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Hmm. A bit of hallucination might do the trick! The only changes we've
made in our cultural habits is to repot in a more timely manner, and do
some more fertilizing than we used to do, which was needed. Light levels
have not changed, nor has watering. No new chemicals have been
introduced. I will say this: although we have not lost any tree canopy,
and our screening is exactly the same, I am seeing lighter leaves on
many plants. [If anything, our fruit trees are providing more shade than
ever.] Temperatures here are no different than in prior summers, but it
seems that somehow the plants are getting brighter light. I had a Rhy.
gigantea go almost white overnight a few months ago. It had lived in
that spot for three years.

I guess what I'm wondering is if the blooming habits of some plants
could be permanently altered by the stress they underwent.

What else would explain out of season blooming? Another example:
Angraecum magdelainae has bloomed three times this year, including in
February and March. It has buds coming now, too, though this is an okay
season for it.

Not trying to be difficult here. I am not a scientist as some here are.
I am genuinely curious.

Diana (No, I don't do LSD!!)