Old 07-08-2006, 06:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default Wasp problem

It is the paper wasps that have been the problem for me. True they are not
aggressive, but they are decimating my peaches. Is the dish soap to help kill
them,
because they usually drown in the fruit juice?

Sherwin D.

Matthew Reed wrote:

There is a special attractant on the market that attracts only yellow
jackets. It's a liquid you poor onto a cotton ball, and lasts a few weeks.
It's a chemical that the yellow jackets thinks is a queen bee, and they
horny little buggers are highly attracted to it. I see it at Wal-Mart and
WinCo foods, so you can probably find it at your local big box store,
hardware stores, etc. I like it because it does not attract paper wasps or
other non-agressive bees.

I have a wasp attractant recipe which is basically fruit juice with added
sugar and a few drops of dish soap. I've used that before, and it attracts
most wasps.

"sdmg2002" wrote in message
ups.com...
What do you use as an attractant for the yellow jackets. I bought two
traps and used some stale beer in them, but they didn't seem
interested. They come to your hamburger pretty quickly, but that
leaves a mess in the traps (joke).