Old 07-08-2006, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve[_2_] Steve[_2_] is offline

Default How and when to repot my Phal

wrote:
Steve wrote:

wrote:

J Fortuna wrote:

J Del,

Ouch. So that's what I was missing in my early repotting efforts: common
sense? Well, if I was, I think chances are that other newbies might as well.
Should that be picked up at Lowe's or Home Depot as well, and do they stock
it next to the Phalaenopsis mix?

You either have it or you don't. Common sense says you don't transfer
a plant to a pot significantly bigger than the one it was in........

That's just not true. I've known that for so many years (decades) that
it feels, at first, like common sense to me too. Maybe you think you
just knew that from common sense but I really think people have to learn
that one way or another.

So, when you were a novice, you'd look at a plant in a four-inch pot
and think it was okay to put it in an eight-inch pot? I doubt that.

J. Del Col

It didn't happen, because when I bought my first orchid I also bought a
book. I read through the book and got a clue before I did anything
drastic with my new orchid.
Just about any house plant could be purchased in a 4 inch pot then do
just fine being moved into an 8 inch pot. I'm not trying to be a pain in
the butt, but seriously, I wasn't born with the ability to to just know
that orchids were different.

Steve