Old 07-08-2006, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default OT?: Winemaking

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Janet Galpin wrote:

And you're right - never, NEVER, boil the fruit for wine-making,
especially if it contains pectin. If you do the haze will never clear.

David (in Normandy!)

That confirms a conclusion I was just reaching. I started a few
different wines last summer and have had problems with them not
clearing. On comparing notes with a neighbour, I was wondering whether
it was because I'd added boiling water to the fruit. I shall try
everything cold this year.

My other concern is to try to make wine as organically as possible. I
presume Sodium metabisulphite is fairly harmless but wouldn't qualify as
organic. What would organic wine-makers use to sterilise their
equipment?

I'm not sure that even organic winemakers can do away with sulphur for
sterilising (no matter what they may say!). I see no harm in adding one
Campden tablet to every gallon (in the case of fruit wines that's about
four pounds of fruit). Providing you are scrupulously clean then it
shouldn't be necessary to add any more. I never do.

The reason I am sceptical about organic grape wines is that it is
virtually impossible to grow grapes without resorting to spraying
against the mildews (powdery and downy). If I didn't spray regularly I
would lose the whole crop - and have done in the past when I didn't
spray!

David (in Normandy!)

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France