Old 07-08-2006, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] chris_doran@postmaster.co.uk is offline

Default 'Woody tasting' eating apples

David WE Roberts wrote:
It seems sad to have a huge crop of shiny, sweet red apples which are
basically inedible because there is only so much blotting paper I can chew
before I start to wonder why I am doing it.

I also don't want to waste a lot of effort picking and storing them if
they are going to turn out old and woody instead of fresh and woody.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Dave R

[Unfortunately I don't have the time this year to make wine or cider or
apple jelly]

At the risk of stating the obvious, have you tried cooking them? I find
this necessary with my eater windfalls. Don't ask me for a recipe, but
dicing them and boiling with sugar doesn't take much effort and seems
to make them edible (just about -- better suggestions welcome).

Chris