Old 07-08-2006, 03:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jethro Jethro is offline

Default Witch Grass?

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 10:01:25 -0400, "Mike" wrote:

"Jethro" wrote in message
.. .
I am plagued with a weed that I think is called witch grass. It is an
extremely hardy weed that has the characteristic of having very long
'stringers' that thread through the grass to very long lengths
(sometimes 12" or so). The weed looks terrible. I have even seen
evidence that it is strong enough to penetrate my asphalt driveway.
Wow!

Anyway, what anyone suggest that I do? Anything now? Or must I wait
until this winter or even next spring?

Thanks

Jethro

I don't think its witch grass, if there are stringers then most likely its
crab grass. What does the seed pod look like? A bird foot or more like an
explosion?

Thanks for response.

I pulled a few 'stringers', and have them in front of me. I don't see
any of what I would consider to be 'seed pods', but the stringers have
growths on them that indeed look like bird feet to me.

So, if crab grass, what should I do? Wait and use pre-emergent killer
next spring? Apply something now?

Jethro