Old 07-08-2006, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes[_1_] Alan Holmes[_1_] is offline

Default OT?: Winemaking

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

David Rance wrote:
On Sun, 6 Aug 2006, Mike Lyle wrote:

I'd never boil, though: for my taste, it spoils the flavour. I've never
bothered with measuring OG, either: I just work on the principle that
every quarter-pound of sugar in a gallon, if fermented right out,
raises the alcohol by 1%. So for most fruits, three pounds or so, added
in two or three stages, plus some grape juice or concentrate, is about
right.

Quarter of a pound of sugar will produce 1.5% alcohol in every gallon
(source: Peter Duncan and Brian Acton - forgotten the name of the book
as I don't have it here in Normandy).

Yes, you're right: sorry. I find even my own notes say so. I haven't
done it for two years. Memory like, er, what do you call those things
with holes in?

Sorry I can't remember!(:-)

Aloan