Old 07-08-2006, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default weeds on my path

Malcolm Stewart wrote:
"Cuprager" wrote in message
Hi All,

I am looking to kill some nasty weeds that keep popping up all over one of
my paths (old fashioned block path). I remember a relative using sodium
chloride to sort his weeds out; is that still the recommended course of
action or are the new (expensive) pathclear type weedkillers to be favored
instead?
Thanks
Gerry

Sodium chloride is the major constituent of common salt, and is found in
seawater..
I expect you mean sodium chlorate which, treated with a fire suppressant, is
used as a weedkiller. Buy it in bulk and it should be cheaper than the
modern weedkillers. If you have my luck, in a short time you'll clear your
path, and then in a year or less, you'll get a different crop of weeds...

Trying to keep the weeds of my block paviours is hopeless. A good dose
of sodium chlorate ( purchased in large tub from local garden centre)
kills the weed off but they are back in a few weeks. I have found the
best way is to treat with SC in the Spring then use
Glyphosate periodically during the Summer when necessary.