Old 07-08-2006, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Plums from stones?

In article . com,
"cliff_the_gardener" writes:

| I am adding my voice to the fact that it will not come true from seed.
| Some of the cherry plums you get in France are species so should get it
| true, but there are cultivars which won't.

HOWEVER, if it is a local variety of a damson, greengage or similar, it
could well be a variety that may come moderately true from seed. It is
only the extremely overbred varieties that you can be sure won't.

| If you want to propogate a hybrid, you would need to graft by budding /
| chip budding around now onto suitable root stock such as Pixy or St.
| Julian A or C.

Or take a cutting. Rootstocks should be used only as a last resort;
they cause nothing but trouble in most cases. If you need to dwarf
the tree or the tree won't grow properly on its own roots, fine, but
the modern habit of grafting everything is a pain in the posterior.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.