Old 07-08-2006, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default OT?: Winemaking

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, David (in Normandy) wrote:

David (in Normandy!)

--
David Rance
http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Two David's in Normandy posting on URG - now that does sound confusing :-)
(Un)fortunately I can't say narrow it down and say "David in Calvados" since
it appears we both live there too.
Perhaps I could sign my posts David (near Vire, Normandy) since we are
fairly close to the town.
It is only a matter of time I suppose before there are other David's in Vire
in Calvados in Normandy posting too.
There seems to be more Brits around here than French :-)
Ou revoir!
David near Vire in Calvados in Normandy in France.

I must confess I signed myself David (in Normandy!) just to tease you!
But maybe I could pull rank and say that I'm the real David in Normandy
because I was here first (sixteen years ago). On the other hand you
could pull rank by saying that you're here all the time! Never mind, it
produced some amusement!

Still the Normans round here would say that you're the foreigner as you
live the other side of Condé-sur-Noireau. Have you noticed how
parochial they are? My next door neighbour was outraged once because
some people from St. Omer came and picked over the déchets in our
commune. "Who do they think they are?" he demanded.

But he was a great gardener. He looked after our vegetable garden while
we were away. When we were there we had the vegetables, when we were
back in England he had them. He kept rabbits in our hutches and sheep in
our meadow and he shared the meat with us. Unfortunately he died last
October. To be more precise, he committed suicide because he was 81
years old and was losing his strength rapidly to the point where he
couldn't do our gardens any more. He couldn't face life as a permanent
invalid unable to do any gardening and so he topped himself. He went up
to his cider shed and hanged himself.

David (only sometimes in Normandy!)