Old 07-08-2006, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_1_] Bob Hobden[_1_] is offline

Default Jalapenos

"Phil L" wrote after
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Phil L" wrote
I've succesfully grown (something of a feat in itself where I'm
concerned!) some Jalapeno peppers, the seeds were sent to me by Rusty
Spokes who used to frequent this group...the plants are now 2 feet
tall and heavy with fruit, each one having 20 or more long green
(and hopefully juicy and hot) peppers, my question is this: how do I
know when they are ready? - I don't think they turn red, and I
tasted on about 2 weeks ago and there was no fire in it at all - it
tasted similar to any capsicum type pepper.
Also how can I store them? - I once pickled some about 10 years ago
and also dried some from the same harvest, the pickled ones had no
fire when used - the dried ones did but no 'chilli flavour' if that
makes sense, I want to preserve both if that's possible, how do I do
it?

Jalapeno's aren't that hot, Habernero's, Scotch Bonnet, Thai Dragon
...... are! The latter is our favourite as it's consistent and grows
and crops well out on our allotment.

I didn't want an extremely hot chilli, I've had scotch bonnets before and
while I agree they are at the higher end of the 'fire scale', they lack
flavour, I requested (in this NG back in January) a pepper which could be
added to food to add flavour as well as fire and was sent some jalapeno
seeds by Rusty....I've tasted one and they taste quite nice but as yet
have no power, I'm hoping this will change pretty soon.

To get them to be as hot as possible you have to stress the plant,
this can be done by withholding water and then flooding them a couple
of weeks before you wish to harvest. Lots of TLC produces mild
chillies.

They don't get any TLC but they do get watered regularly, being so close
to the tomatoes I can't really follow this advice, but I will remember for
next year, thanks.

Freezing is best, they thaw out as they went in, almost.

Almost is good enough! - I find dried ones boring and pickled ones are a
waste of time IMV.....I assume the thawed ones will only be suitable for
cooking? - salads are out of the question?

Yes unless you like soft chillies in your salads. :-)
I thought pickled ones were fine for salads?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden