Old 08-08-2006, 11:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray[_1_] Ray[_1_] is offline

Default 2 Problems

1) Dealing with thrips on plants growing in semi-hydro culture is no
different that dealing with them on a plant grown any other way - a good
contact/systemic insecticide is needed. They live and reproduce strictly in
the vegetative tissue.

2) Fungus gnats indicate the presence of decomposing organic matter, which
suggests that you didn't remove the organic potting media components well
enough before moving the plant into S/H. A decent contact-killer
insecticidal drench should do it.

"Jack" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was wondering if any one has a good way of controling thrips and
fungas gnats in S/H, I have tryed neem, systems, BTH and soaking, I
still have the freeking critters (the gnats I can stand, but I HATE
thrips)

The other is how can you prevent damping off, every time I deflask
seedling they loose all their leaves. Now 2 months later the little
suckers that have survied so far are putting out more leaves, but I
lost about half the batch, I think that my culture is good, 70% humidy,
65-75 F, a week in a 1/2 gal bag gradually hardening them off before
putting them onto my grow rack. This is killing me.

BTW Ray, stanhopea seem to do well in hydocorals for deflasking.

Jack