Old 08-08-2006, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
CJD CJD is offline

Default Growing Orchids in Seattle

Thanks. I'll take a look at that link and also check the AOS website.
Someone told me it was difficult to grow orchids in Seattle, but it would
seem to have the perfect climate: temps between 40-80, lots of indirect
light, and a misting sort of rain. So I was a little surprised by the
person's comment. Checking a local orchid society is an excellent
suggestion, and I don't know why I didn't think of this initially. Thanks
again.

"Ray" wrote in message
There are about 30,000 naturally occurring species and well over 200,000
hybrids out there, so finding one that will work for you is probably not a
daunting task.

However, "in a home in Seattle" is not a sufficiently good definition of
the growing conditions to do so, and suggests you should do some more
reading about orchids and their needs before venturing further into what
can become quite addicting.

Start by reading this: http://www.firstrays.com/beginner.htm. In addition
to giving some good general advice, there's a link to the American Orchid
Society's website, in which you'll find links to local growers and orchid
societies, and they can be some of your best resources.

"CJD" wrote in message
I'm hoping someone in this knowledgeable group can give me some
information. How difficult is it to keep orchids in Seattle? I'm not
talking about a greenhouse, but just in a normal home situation. What
orchids do well in Seattle's climate? Do they require special care?