Old 08-08-2006, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim C. Tim C. is offline

Default first time help

Following up to Cuprager :

Hello again,

I would like to grow some vegetables in my back garden. I can spare
about 6ft square at the moment with the possibility of another 6ft
square patch later on. I would like to make this meager space into a
raised bed and start to plant up some edible lovelies asap! The issue
that I have is that I don't have a clue where to start with regards to
preparing the ground. I would like to plant up some garlic for now and
maybe some onions. Does anyone have any info that I would find useful in
my quest?

There's a really good book called "Square Foot Gardening". Aimed at USAians
with only balconies and rooftops, but still very good advice for Brits.
Also his website: http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

If your soil is ok then you don't need to do the buying new soil mix stuff.
The ideas for plants and veggies is useful.

--
Tim C.