Old 08-08-2006, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Growing Orchids in Seattle

One of the biggest orchid growers/hybridizers was from the Seattle area.
Baker & Chandry. Used to grow on or near Vashon Island. Grew Miltoniopsis
(pansy shaped orchids) Masdevallias, odontoglossums, and well, just about
everything. The company broke up after the owners passed away. In addition
to looking at the AOS web page for a society near you, look at the orchid
mall for vendors near you. IIRC there were some good ones.
http://www.orchidmall.com

K Barrett

"CJD" wrote in message
Thanks. I'll take a look at that link and also check the AOS website.
Someone told me it was difficult to grow orchids in Seattle, but it would
seem to have the perfect climate: temps between 40-80, lots of indirect
light, and a misting sort of rain. So I was a little surprised by the
person's comment. Checking a local orchid society is an excellent
suggestion, and I don't know why I didn't think of this initially. Thanks
again.

"Ray" wrote in message
There are about 30,000 naturally occurring species and well over 200,000
hybrids out there, so finding one that will work for you is probably not
a daunting task.

However, "in a home in Seattle" is not a sufficiently good definition of
the growing conditions to do so, and suggests you should do some more
reading about orchids and their needs before venturing further into what
can become quite addicting.

Start by reading this: http://www.firstrays.com/beginner.htm. In
addition to giving some good general advice, there's a link to the
American Orchid Society's website, in which you'll find links to local
growers and orchid societies, and they can be some of your best
resources.

"CJD" wrote in message
I'm hoping someone in this knowledgeable group can give me some
information. How difficult is it to keep orchids in Seattle? I'm not
talking about a greenhouse, but just in a normal home situation. What
orchids do well in Seattle's climate? Do they require special care?