Old 08-08-2006, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Spent compost

"David (in Normandy)" wrote in message
Just note of caution with regard to reusing old compost - take care as you
empty the pots in case there are any vine weevils. Sift throught the
compost carefully.
They love to infest pots and eat plant roots. The trouble is with pots
there are no predators to munch on them unlike open soil. Keep an eye open
for the adult beetles too - kill them on sight.
They are nastly little blighters and you definitely don't want to spread
them around.
If you find any in the pots - they are around 1cm long, white with a brown
head and usually curled up into a letter C - any such compost put it into
the dustbin. Do not attempt to reuse it or it will lead to a major
contagion of the things - and no plants, no veg.
--
David
... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Well it's war with me and the vine weevils. One or more has/have chewed the
leaves of a very precious banana plant that has taken ages to germinate.
Can you give me an approximate time of night when the little darlings
appear? :-)