Old 08-08-2006, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Follow up to Echinops query

"louisxiv" wrote in message
Janet very kindly responded to photo query re Echinops as follows:

The first one is Echinops ritro and the second one seems to be another
Echinops - I believe Echinops sphaerocephalus (see
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...es/11507.shtml)

Janet G

Can anyone help re my response?

That's the ones! Thanks Janet. Are they annuals (Do I have to plant them
every year)? How would I go about making sure I have some of these in my
borders next summer? Would I wait until Spring and then propogate from
Seed?

You can tell i'm new to this, can't you!

xiv

The blue one (Echinops ritro) comes every year from the existing rootstock.
It will self seed and produce additional plants.
You can chop back the whole plant to ground level at the end of the season.
I assume the same applies to the white one as the link posted by Janet says
that it is a perennial.