Old 08-08-2006, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin Janet Galpin is offline

Default Follow up to Echinops query

The message
from "louisxiv" contains these words:

Janet very kindly responded to photo query re Echinops as follows:

The first one is Echinops ritro and the second one seems to be another
Echinops - I believe Echinops sphaerocephalus (see
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...es/11507.shtml)

Janet G

Can anyone help re my response?

That's the ones! Thanks Janet. Are they annuals (Do I have to plant them
every year)? How would I go about making sure I have some of these in my
borders next summer? Would I wait until Spring and then propogate from Seed?

You can tell i'm new to this, can't you!

xiv

No they're perennials. The seed germinates quite easily in warmish
conditions, so spring would be the ideal time to sow. I can't remember
whether they flower the first year or not but once you have them
established you've got them for ever. Echinops ritro seeds itself around
a bit as well, so you'll get plants popping up in other places too.

Janet G