Old 09-08-2006, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned ned is offline

Default Cleavers

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
.net...

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 3/8/06 17:53, in article

,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 17:53:08 +0100, Sacha

wrote:

Can someone please tell me the proper name for the plant

variously
known
as
Cleavers, Goose Grass, Stick Willie, etc?

http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_cleavers.htm
Galium aparine

Thanks to you and to Bob. I have been 'talking' to an American

friend
about
it but didn't know its proper name. For some reason, our dogs

like
eating
it, especially the dachshund. As he's extremely greedy, I

think it must
have Rennies like properties!

Some of our hens like it too.

It's its only saving grace - that and being easy to pull. I have

myself to
blame for it, I thought it would be fun to have when the children

were
small.

Mary

I got my infestations trying to be kind to the Humming bird hawk

moths which
lay there eggs on it! down here its mostly called cleavers although

I grew
up calling it goose grass, a lot of books refer to it as bedstraw

so that
presumably is another use for it

Bedstraw applies to other species of the genus. I can't imagine

Galium
aparine being very comfortable bedding.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

I think the comfort of Ladies Bedstraw came from the aroma which
masked the domestic odours of them long gone days.
:-)

--
ned