Old 09-08-2006, 09:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Newport Steve Newport is offline

Default Potatoes in Containers

Have just tipped out two big containers (Saxon and Karlena) to harvest
the pots but there are no more pots that I would have got had I grown
them in traditional rows.

On examining the plants you can clearly see a big root ball at the
base which is where the potatoes were, but the stem then rises in a
big green rope to the surface but with no signs of additional side
roots as I was led to expect would happen.

It may well be that I did not water enough but I also wondered whether
there was some other more fundemental problem such as the wrong type
of potatoes to do this with.

Anybody any ideas?

Thanks
Steve