Old 19-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Repeating Decimal

Default tomato pollination

in article , Frank at
wrote on 3/19/03 2:57 AM:

Are insects necessary to pollinate tomatoes. Was thinking about
making insect proof cage of plastic window screening to keep them away
but was wondering if the bigs are essential for pollination.
My correct e-mail address is gn052 (not gn52)
Fake adddress given to avoid spams

I guess that it depends.

I have had no problem with pollination of tomatoes in my little greenhouse.
It may be that the seed varieties I use favor that. But I have used seeds
taken from tomatoes I like. I sometimes help the process along by snapping
the blossoms with my finger. It is not clear that that helps. Certainly the
commercial growers like to use bumblebees.

Another recommendation is to use a vibrator like an electric razor. I have a
batte4ry operated hair clipper that I used. It is not clear that it really
helps all that much.

Bill