Old 09-08-2006, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
©¿©[_1_] ©¿©[_1_] is offline

Default Hedgehog repellent?

On 9 Aug 2006 01:55:34 -0700, "Evan" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
However, we've now gone waaaay OT for urg so let's return to your hedgehogs.
Don't, please, don't, try to force them out of your garden because of your
domestic situation with the dog. Not only are they delightful creatures in
their own right, they are real friends to gardeners AND their habitat is
sparse and undergoing constant change or even demolition! They do need to
find homes in which to raise their own babies so think of yourselves as
kindred spirits and find a new home for the dog or a place she can safely
sleep at night. Winter will be here in a few short months and a housedog
cannot kindly be left outside all night.

No the dog's not really the original topic, but because the lawn
digging is a major part of the problem, the insight into dog behaviour
isn't unwelcome. I'm having flashbacks to my University degree days
now....make it stop!!!

She's a black lab/staffie cross that stands above my knees. She's spent
about 25% of her nights (summer and winter) outdoors in a doghouse with
bedding. So size-wise and based on her history, she's not strictly a
house-dog, though she obviously prefers to overnight in the house.

I've talked to many folks who are adament one way or the other that
bigger dogs should be definitely left outside (or inside) the house. My
wife and I were pretty middle of the road...at least until the pooing
"incident".

If any kind and friendly folk in Walsall or Birmingham can afford the
time to run and play with her, I'd definitely consider rehoming my very
friendly dog with them. We simply can't devote enough time to her any
more with two new babies. Let me know.

You sound like a real ******. I wonder how long before you feel the
same about the children? Pets are for life, not for fun.

Malcolm Ogilvie of on the suggestion he
copied Konters book.

" You are making yourself look foolish. The book on Grebes by Andre
Konter that was published in 2001 was entitled 'Grebes of OUR World'.
My book, published only this month, is entitled 'Grebes of THE World',
and as such is entirely different. The similarity of the front covers
is quite coincidental. My book IS the first ever devoted to Grebes.

Malcolm Ogilivie."

KONTER (Andre) - Grebes of our World. Visiting all Species on Five
Continents - 2001, 8vo. 187pp. Colour photographs, line drawings. A
description of the 22 species of grebes, their natural history, ecology
and behaviour.

Grebes of the World
Malcolm Ogilvie
The book starts with an authoritative introduction on the origin,
evolution, distribution, physiology and behaviour of grebes, followed by
accounts of each of the 22 species

Malcolm it looks as though Konter might dispute that statement!

Rob

"Yes, indeed, what I said was wrong and I apologise to Andre Konter,

Malcolm Ogilvie"

The error I made was in a chatty piece about the actual writing of the
book which I posted to a non-birdwatching newsgroup

M Ogilvie

You clearly and explicitly stated that yours was the first book on the
subject, in the full knowledge that the topic had recently been
covered very thoroughly in Konter's book.
The facts speak for themselves. You are a liar who only had the grace
to own up when you had been found out - you even persisted in giving
the impression that you were the first to write it *after* I had drawn
attention to your untruth. Your apology comes a little late.
You do yourself no credit in introducing other, wholly irrelevant
matters in order to deflect criticism from your behaviour. Shame on
you.

Paul