Old 09-08-2006, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Hedgehog repellent?

On 9 Aug 2006 01:55:34 -0700, "Evan" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
However, we've now gone waaaay OT for urg so let's return to your hedgehogs.
Don't, please, don't, try to force them out of your garden because of your
domestic situation with the dog. Not only are they delightful creatures in
their own right, they are real friends to gardeners AND their habitat is
sparse and undergoing constant change or even demolition! They do need to
find homes in which to raise their own babies so think of yourselves as
kindred spirits and find a new home for the dog or a place she can safely
sleep at night. Winter will be here in a few short months and a housedog
cannot kindly be left outside all night.

No the dog's not really the original topic, but because the lawn
digging is a major part of the problem, the insight into dog behaviour
isn't unwelcome. I'm having flashbacks to my University degree days
now....make it stop!!!

;-)

She's a black lab/staffie cross that stands above my knees. She's spent
about 25% of her nights (summer and winter) outdoors in a doghouse with
bedding. So size-wise and based on her history, she's not strictly a
house-dog, though she obviously prefers to overnight in the house.

I've talked to many folks who are adament one way or the other that
bigger dogs should be definitely left outside (or inside) the house. My
wife and I were pretty middle of the road...at least until the pooing
"incident".

I think the problem here is that the dog is leading a sort of dual life. On
the one hand she's a house pet who is allowed in sometimes and at others,
she's treated like a working dog who lives outside. I don't know anybody
who has working dogs who treats them as pets half the time and working dogs
the other half. The might be pets who work e.g. are shot over or they might
be working dogs who live outside ALL the time but not a mixture of both.
The breed combination you mention needs quite a lot of exercise and without
it, boredom becomes a major problem so she's into digging up the lawn or
chewing the furniture or shredding carpets etc. Some of that is pure
attention seeking, too. One of our JRs rushes to his blanket and starts
chewing it when people other than family, come to the house. He probably
feels a bit threatened by strangers actually in the house (as opposed to on
the nursery) so he does a sort of displacement ativity which also,
incidentally, gets him our attention if it is of the "STOP IT" variety! The
Lab bit of your dog is deeply affectionate and people-orientated and is
probably missing the fuss and attention she got before the babies arrived.
Up until then, she was your baby!

If any kind and friendly folk in Walsall or Birmingham can afford the
time to run and play with her, I'd definitely consider rehoming my very
friendly dog with them. We simply can't devote enough time to her any
more with two new babies. Let me know.

If you are going to re-home her, I think that's probably best for all of you
but I'm only going on what you've written here. But do check out the people
and their home before you let her go. Or put her with a good and reputable
animal rescue centre that you know won't put her down after x number of
weeks. Ask your local vet if they know of someone who would like her. IF
you can take her to the park or somewhere she can have a good run while you
push the babies around in their buggies, then she'll be a happier dog - same
if you can find a corner of the house/kitchen/utility room/under the
stairs/kneehole of your desk where her bed and bowls can be kept. In about
two or three years time she can be a real companion for your children; the
question seems to be how to handle her in that time.
snip
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk