Old 09-08-2006, 01:55 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.local.southwest,uk.local.london,uk.local.essx,uk.rec.gardening
Mike Ross Mike Ross is offline

Default Pay to receive spam in US!

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 20:54:00 +0100, Jonathan Bryce
jonathan@localhost wrote:

Michael Cargill wrote:

"Just Another Legal Fan" wrote in message
ups.com...
I thought this one was a windup but no.... In the US, spammers can
now legally call your mobile and YOU pay for the call! What the ****
is the matter with these Yanks?

Erm, I think you will find that it is an urban myth.

It isn't quite an urban myth. In the US, you do pay to receive calls on
your cell phone.

Quite true.

It is illegal for telemarketers to call mobiles, but I suspect that is about
as difficult to enforce there as it is to enforce telemarketing regulations
here.

Also true. It seems to work fairly well - I've lived in the US for
several years. Since signing-up for the 'do not call' I've received
very very few calls on my house phone. I've *never* had a problem from
telemarketers on my cell - the few calls I have had were from my bank
trying to sell me crap, and stopped when I told them to.

Mike
--
http://www.corestore.org
'As I walk along these shores