Old 09-08-2006, 03:23 PM posted to rec.ponds
[email protected] dr-solo@wi.rr.xx.com is offline

Default New Pond filter suggestions...

UV does kill by causing thymine dimers of the DNA. However, algae is a BIG cell and
UV more likely coags the proteins and causes clumping and removal by the filter.
you are entirely correct about clear water without balancing nutrients.
I am on Lake Michigan water and it is very soft. Rain is acidic from the dissolved
CO2, so the pH could have swung down pretty far. I had the hot days and rain about
the same, but my pond has extra calcium in it to buffer the pH after I found my fish
jumping. It is also north facing and the plants in the veggie filter shade the pond
as does the one big lily. the temp of the water doesnt get over 80oF.
Ingrid

"Kevin" wrote:
that UV clarifiers work by damaging the DNA of single-celled algae (and
bacteria for that matter) and stopping them from replicating.
beauty of the UV clarifier is that it allows one to have clear water
without really balancing out the nutrient equation.
For those of you who weighed in on the fish die-off over the weekend,
I'm happy to report that no more deaths have been noted. I'm guessing
it was the 100 degree days and the torrential rains that lead to
hypoxia and nutrient overload and nothing infectious that I introduced.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan