Old 10-08-2006, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Evan Evan is offline

Default Hedgehog repellent?

Sacha wrote:

I think the problem here is that the dog is leading a sort of dual life. On
the one hand she's a house pet who is allowed in sometimes and at others,
she's treated like a working dog who lives outside.

We should have always left her outside, but of course we felt sorry for
her on cold or rainy nights despite the fact she had a very insulated
dog house. Keeping her in avoided the hedgehog confrontations as well.

The breed combination you mention needs quite a lot of exercise and without
it, boredom becomes a major problem so she's into digging up the lawn or
chewing the furniture or shredding carpets etc.

To her credit, she doesn't do anything bad to seek attention. The lawn
digging is strictly her trying to rouse the hedgehogs. I've seen it.
She encircles the things pawing at them. Of course she doesn't have
opposable thumbs, so she only manages to mess the grass up while trying
to "pick up" the hedgehogs.

Lab bit of your dog is deeply affectionate and people-orientated and is
probably missing the fuss and attention she got before the babies arrived.

The dog loves the kids. She's always gentle with them. My two year old
loves hugging and petting the dog (and dumping spades of sand on her
back, and sitting on her when she's lying down, and pulling her tail,
etc...)

But do check out the people
and their home before you let her go. Or put her with a good and reputable
animal rescue centre that you know won't put her down after x number of
weeks.

Of course I would.

you can take her to the park or somewhere she can have a good run while you
push the babies around in their buggies, then she'll be a happier dog

We do our best, but I know it's not good enough. Very unfair on the
dog.

if you can find a corner of the house/kitchen/utility room/under the
stairs/kneehole of your desk where her bed and bowls can be kept.

Our end terrace has had all nooks and crannies taken up by kids and
kid-related paraphenelia. This is why the dog has had to go outside.

two or three years time she can be a real companion for your children; the
question seems to be how to handle her in that time.

This is very true.