Old 10-08-2006, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Stones under apple trees

On 10/8/06 08:02, in article
, "Farm1"
please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Okay, I extracted more info from Ray this morning. ;-) Apparently

the
slabs were real paving slab size - around 3' x 2.5' and they were

buried a
yard below the apple trees' roots.

Wow! That is a SERIOUS hole. Almost like digging to China. The old
bloke who dug the holes must have been fit.

I think so! He wasn't old all his life, of course. ;-) But people who
worked on the land then - and now - usually are and were pretty fit. They
didn't ride around in cars much 'back then', either and there wasn't the
sophisticated machinery we'd use now to dig such holes. All the artificial
lakes one sees at e.g. stately homes were dug out by hand originally, I
would think. My husband is 73 and still does a full day's work on the
nursery or digs in the garden etc. and I doubt he'll ever stop. He's a lot
fitter than I am! We always have a quiet smile when some stripling of 65
comes in and tells us he's moving to a house with a smaller garden now that
he's getting older!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk