Old 10-08-2006, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Linz Linz is offline

Default Spent compost

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Linz" wrote in message
I've only started gardening this year. I have some raised beds, 3m x
1m each, in which I'm trying 'square foot gardening' (hampered
mainly by the slugs and local cats) and a lot of tubs and pots.

What do I do with spent compost from the pots and tubs? I've been
doing a form of crop rotation in some tubs - peas followed by
carrots, for instance - but I've got a good 100l of compost that I
grew potatoes in that I know I can't grow the next set of potatoes
in, in case of disease. So what can I do with this compost? I'll use
some of it to fill up the raised beds but I can't do that every
year. Does it go in the compost bin to help out there?

I've just realised I can shove a fair bit of it on the borders but
even so, I'll take answers!

A 100L of compost will easily get lost on the raised beds you
mentioned. It's fine on the compost or anywhere in the garden.

Thanks to Rupert, David and George for your help! I will look carefully for
nasties then spread the compost around.