Old 10-08-2006, 06:02 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] is offline

Default snakes in yard

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 08:55:01 -0500, "H. Adam Stevens"
wrote:

What happened to the snakes?
This has turned into a goddam deer thread.

Last rattler I had in the house got a facefull of .38 rat shot.
Killed a copperhead in the pool last Summer. He was coiled up in the
skimmer.
Come to think of it, every snake I have seen in six years of living out here
next to Camp Swift has been a timber rattler except for two copperheads.
And I have killed each and every one.

But it was a fiddleback spider killed my cat.

Cheers
H.

Aren't you just filled with joy.

Don't be an ass...
Cats are family members.

As far as pit vipers go, I generally kill them too. There are way too
many beneficial, safe species around to spare them and with food
competition, you can encourage rat snakes etc. if you get rid of the
vipers.

Granted, it depends on my mood... I did capture one copperhead alive and
unharmed (after it'd bitten somebody's dog and I got a rescue call) and
I spared the last rattler I found in my back yard, but both snakes were
turned over to Wildlife Rescue Inc. (in Kendalia Texas) to be released
where they could not do any harm. I just did not feel like killing
anything those two days.

Come to think of it, the older I get, the less I want to kill anything.
sigh Guess that's part of life. I dunno.

I just hope those two snakes I spared never hurt anyone...
Sometimes I don't know how to feel.
--
Peace!
Om