Old 10-08-2006, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Stones under apple trees

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 10/8/06 16:15, in article
, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from
(Nick Maclaren) contains these words:
[...]
You would use the same technique as a coffin, but could walk it
sideways
in the sling, so wouldn't need a third person.

I can't lift a 3 by 2 right off the ground by myself but John can. As
we're unmatched lifters, we've found it's much easier to push really
heavy stones round the garden on HD rollers (scaffolding pipes are
ideal). When positioning one in a hole, we just dig the hole with one
end of it sloping like a ramp slide (to guide the bottom end down).

If it's only across grass, I've found that I can move quite big stones
single-handed by levering them onto a big heavy-duty plastic bag and
pulling. (I moved a Jotul "Easter Island Statue" wood burner from one
end of the house to the other in the same way, so it works on carpet,
too.) If trying this technique, don't continue if you feel any sort of
twinge in the crutch region!

I've just gone back from the chiropractor and you've made my neck and
back
ache again!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Can't really work out whether you are coming or going but it sounds like you
need to do both. No twinge in the crutch region? Not fair is it?