Old 10-08-2006, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Russel Sprout Russel Sprout is offline

Default flowering leeks

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message . com
from "bramble" contains these words:

Hi, wondered if anyone's got any views about flowering leeks.....can I
leave them where they are...should I cut the flower heads off...or dig
them up and start again. I understand that once a leek has flowered it
can be tough to eat in comparison.

As food to eat, your leeks had it. But as a stunningly attractive,
longlasting ornamental flower, they are a great addition to the garden
IMO. Far better value and longer lasting than many of the big ornamental
allium bulbs.

Last year my leeks flowered and I enjoyed them so much I left the
flowers on until winter .In spring, the same plants sprang back to life
(more densely) and flowered all over again. At the moment they are a
forest of strong, self supporting 3 to 4 ft stalks, each carrying a
tennis ball sized flower head shading from pale green to purple.
Beautiful.

Janet.

Yes. I have one in the front garden, it is 10 years old now and still going
strong. The number of people who ask for a cutting/seed is amazing, as is
the look on their faces when they laern what it is.