Old 10-08-2006, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default OT?: Winemaking

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Mike Lyle wrote:

I think plum wines, including greengage, are prone to hazes. These can
be caused by gums rather than pectin: (These aren't the only possible
causes of cloudiness.) I don't know what to do about gum, but it won't
hurt you. I'd say use water just off the boil, and add a pectolytic
(pectin-destroying) enzyme if you can get it. You stir in the pectinase
before the yeast, but at the same temperature -- like all enzymes, it's
destroyed by heat.

My plum wines clear just fine using the method I've just outlined in
answer to Janet.

A side-effect of pectinase is actually to improve juice-extraction, so
flavour will be better. It's a good idea to use it as a matter of
routine for any wine.

Again, as I mentioned to Janet, if you ferment the yeast on the pulp
this will do the same thing so you don't need pectolase. Pectolase
breaks down the cells in the fruit. Yeast will do the same as it
ferments the sugar in the fruit.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France