Old 11-08-2006, 06:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Stones under apple trees

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
Malcolm writes:

| And what does a 3' x 2.5' slab weigh, do you suppose?

Of the order of 2 cwt. Even for navvies, getting one of those to

the
bottom of a 3' hole is a two-man job.

Wow! That much?

At least with digging a hole (in SOFT ground), you can adjust the
amount you dig to your strength.

I seem to recall that you have an African connection ????? so may know
my trick. I've often had to resort to the dig a bit, pour in water,
wait a day, dig a bit, pour in water etc. I've taken about 2 weeks to
dig a 3 ft hole to put in a post on one occasion.. We've just had a
drought here where a plumber I knew said that the soil was bone dry to
a depth of at least 6 ft..