Old 11-08-2006, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default mechanical riddle / soil sieve?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Steve wrote after

"newbietothis"
I have read in another post in this group that you can get such a thing
as a mechnical riddle or soil sieve. Does anyone know where you can
hire these from; had a look on HSS Hire website but nothing? Many
thanks.

I've seen one once. A geezer I bought a shed from a few years ago had one
in his garden, it was a rotary screen cylinder, about 4 ft long and 2ft
dia, turned by a big handle at one end. he was using it to screen his
very stony soil, and didn't want to part with it.

If you find a source I'd like a look at it too.

You mean like this ...
http://www.ptdirect.co.uk/index.html...d=38716.013287

Looks good but what a price!

What we want is something that would break up the soil, pick it up, sieve
it, and replace it, all in one operation, throwing the waste straight into
a barrow. I wonder if there is such an animal? I'm sure there would be
many applications for such a machine not least new houses with gardens
full of builders rubble covered over with turf, as they do.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

A supermarket trolley makes a fantastic mobile sieve for getting rid of the
big bits. Not quite the device you want--but very cheap.