Old 16-02-2003, 08:15 PM
paghat

Default paved garden

In article ,
(Cdonahey41) wrote:

Find an old cushion (polyurethane foam), cut it out and fill it with soil to
suit. Any clumps of leaves laying around is a good way to start. Then plant
to suit. These kill any plants underneath. They can also be upholstered with
needle and thread. Burlap is nice. I have a number of dwarf perennials

in some.
Eventually, they cover the whole planter. Most plants will eventually attach
to soil. They will break down concrete with time, I suppose. But it

would take
some time. I had one on a concrete walkway over the summer. When I moved the
cushion planter, the walkway was lighter, although that has faded away.

I'd love to see photos of gardening by the method you describe. My first
response is that gardening with polyurethane foam sounds horrible, but
having never seen what you're describing, I wouldn't too quickly assum
that it couldn't be done beautifully. As a method to kill sod & weeds
underneath, it seems like overkill. I've killed weeds & sod around
plantings with a barrier of paper hidden by leafmold or dark compost, & by
the time the paper is eaten by worms, weeds or sod is wiped out, with the
cleared area newly suitable for spring bulbs or cyclamens or hepatica.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/