Old 11-08-2006, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer[_1_] cloud dreamer[_1_] is offline

Default Potatoes in Containers

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

In article ,
cloud dreamer wrote:

Tried it. With the tires piled on each other, it was near impossible to
ensure all the water was out. I used a 1/2 inch spatula type drill bit
to punch large holes in the sides and treads. No go and it wasn't easy
work.

In the end, I would have been better off getting out the circular saw,
cutting a piece of 2x8 untreated lumber into 2 foot sections and nailing
them together...then piling them up 16, 24 or 32 inches high. It would
have taken ten minutes and cost less than $20 for the wood - and the
assembly would have been reuseable.

I plan to try that technique next year.

I wonder how well using plastic lattice would work?
Wood lattice would rot.

I'm not talking lattice.

I understood that, the lattice concept was a new suggestion and would be
simpler and quicker for those of us that are carpentry challenged. G

I'm talking about 2x8s - solid lumber. With
proper drainage, it would take 15-20 years for it to rot. (Longer if you
took it apart every year (to get at the potatoes) and restacked them in
a different order).

Plastic lattice should last indefinitely?

Around here, solid lumber will rot in about 5 years in the open like
that. The ambient humidity levels are too high.

And there are abundant agricultural termites.

Termites? Wow. picking feet off floor

No termites here. We actually have few pests - no snakes, racoons, deer,
ground hogs. The worst gardening pest I have to account for are slugs
and hares (that couldn't climb a 2 foot fence if their lives depended on
it).

We do have a wet climate (the most precipatation and fog in the country)
but it's rarely humid to the point that it's oppressive. (The ocean also
has a breeze).

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.