Old 11-08-2006, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] is offline

Default Potatoes in Containers

In article ,
cloud dreamer wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

In article ,
cloud dreamer wrote:

Tried it. With the tires piled on each other, it was near impossible to
ensure all the water was out. I used a 1/2 inch spatula type drill bit
to punch large holes in the sides and treads. No go and it wasn't easy
work.

In the end, I would have been better off getting out the circular saw,
cutting a piece of 2x8 untreated lumber into 2 foot sections and nailing
them together...then piling them up 16, 24 or 32 inches high. It would
have taken ten minutes and cost less than $20 for the wood - and the
assembly would have been reuseable.

I plan to try that technique next year.

I wonder how well using plastic lattice would work?
Wood lattice would rot.

I'm not talking lattice.

I understood that, the lattice concept was a new suggestion and would be
simpler and quicker for those of us that are carpentry challenged. G

I'm talking about 2x8s - solid lumber. With
proper drainage, it would take 15-20 years for it to rot. (Longer if you
took it apart every year (to get at the potatoes) and restacked them in
a different order).

Plastic lattice should last indefinitely?

Around here, solid lumber will rot in about 5 years in the open like
that. The ambient humidity levels are too high.

And there are abundant agricultural termites.

Termites? Wow. picking feet off floor

Heh. ;-)

While I thank the nature gods I've never had house termites, I have
found them out back destroying any wood things that touch the ground
unless it's railroad ties or heavily treated lumber.

And that's not suitable for growing food items. G

No termites here. We actually have few pests - no snakes, racoons, deer,
ground hogs. The worst gardening pest I have to account for are slugs
and hares (that couldn't climb a 2 foot fence if their lives depended on
it).

My dogs would make short work of bunnies.

Gleefully. :-(

We do have a wet climate (the most precipatation and fog in the country)
but it's rarely humid to the point that it's oppressive. (The ocean also
has a breeze).

This is the South...... ;-)

South Central Texas.
--