Old 12-08-2006, 12:40 AM posted to rec.ponds
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default New Ponder ?'s

On 11 Aug 2006 16:13:06 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

Put about 20 feeder goldfish in about a week ago; they were looking
pretty happy, so added 5 (4-6") koi a few days ago. They seem very
happy, but little goldfish are gone, so I figure they became lunch.

Koi and goldfish don't usually eat fish that are big enough to be
recognized as fish. Look in the drain, or downstream in a deeper
pool of water. I have goldfish in my filter barrel all the time and
the have to get there through a drain covered by a dome in the main
pond.

I couldn't keep koi fish in such a shallow pond. I think they need
deeper water and I've read that show koi people like for them to have
an 8' deep pond to develop a better shape from the up and down
swimming.

It sounds like a nice place for turtles or ducks and lilies.

Regards,

Hal