Old 12-08-2006, 12:44 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
John Doe[_1_] John Doe[_1_] is offline

Default Plants that absorb harmful elements/toxins?

On 11 Aug 2006 09:52:02 -0700, "Jeff" wrote:

Hello all.

I'm a militant earthy-crunchy (seriously), but I'm not here to cause
political riff-raff.

I'm looking to compile a list of known seeds that will grow plants that
are able to absorb significant amounts of chemicals, pesticides, and
other well known harmful materials.

Could anyone give me pointers/URL's that would help in my research?

The environment where these plants will grow is central Massachusetts,
and yes, the plants need to be legal. ;-)

Any help greatly appreciated.

-Jeff

Several years ago, and way too many brain cells ago, I attended a
seminar on bioremediation by plants of mercury polluted soil.

From what I recall:

A gene for mercury reactions in bacteria was identified. Somehow, this
was linked to mercury filling amalgams... I'm not sure exactly the
link...

Anyway, the most toxic form of mercury is not the elemental form, but
the states, such as mercury oxides and organic forms such as methyl
mercury.

The gene involved was introduced into a plant... I believe it was a
marsh plant... that grew in wet soil with non-elemental mercury
contamination. The plant was able to take the combined mercury toxins
in the soil, convert them into elemental mercury, and release the
elemental mercury as vapor into the atmosphere.

So... the question is: was this a good idea or not?