Old 12-08-2006, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Rhododendron arboreum

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 11/8/06 19:55, in article ,
"Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Is anyone growing this or do they know its preferences as to climate?
We
walked through Knightshayes garden this afternoon and there was quite an
old
one of these in the final stages of flowering. The scent was delicious!
We
have got two small R. Lady Alice Fitzwilliam through last winter and I
really would love to get R. arboreum if it will survive with us. Any
information will be most gratefully received.

I'm pretty sure it's in one of the Brodick Castle rhodo collections;
in the section called the "Lower rhododendron walk". They also have a
lot of other scented rhododendrons btw.

Conditions in the lower rhoddendron walk are; sea level, (almost but
not quite frost free) ,wind sheltered, mostly shady, acid damp peaty
soil over sandstone, humid atmosphere (water and springs dripping down
rockfaces). Rainfall 70 " pa.

They also have r arboreum at Arduaine ( not much further north on the
west coast of mainland Scotland).

I remember that you wrote about that when I first managed to find R. Lady
Alice Fitzwilliam. Do you think they do mail order and could or would
send
me some? I particularly like the fact that this R. arboreum is so scented
and that it's in flower so late.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

If you have difficulty finding R. arboreum then you could try the Glendoick
People. Years since I had contact with them but I remember them as being
very knowledgeable and helpful folk
http://www.glendoick.com/index.shtml