Old 12-08-2006, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default Rhododendron arboreum

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 12/8/06 08:06, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Is anyone growing this or do they know its preferences as to climate?

We
walked through Knightshayes garden this afternoon and there was quite

an
old
one of these in the final stages of flowering. The scent was

delicious!
We
have got two small R. Lady Alice Fitzwilliam through last winter and I
really would love to get R. arboreum if it will survive with us. Any
information will be most gratefully received.
--

Well I can not grow them so know very little about them! but down here

R.
arboreum (aka Cornish Red) is in flower during the normal spring period,

so
am I getting my names muddled again or is the plant you have seen a

hybrid?
anyway there is an effort ongoing to replant younger R. arboreum because

so
many Cornish plants were so large and aged, as a consequence most

nurseries
are selling them at present.

I've emailed Knightshayes to see if anyone can give me info on this one.
I'm puzzled because the one we saw was white and in flower now and the

ones
I find on a Google search are red or pinkish and seem to flower earlier.
AFAIR, it merely said R. arboretum and nothing more. Admittedly it was a
very old label and I had to peer at it from the path but I don't think I
missed a word! But when - if - I heard back from them, I'll let you know
what they say. The walled veg. garden there is open to the public now and
is a feast for the eyes. A lot of the stuff served in the café comes from
there.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sounds more like a variety called 'Polar Bear' Have to shout at john Lanyon
next time I see him about his labelling!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk