Old 19-03-2003, 06:08 PM
gastropod

Default pruning forsythia advice

These shrubs flower on last years woody growth, which sprouts after
flowering. The best results I have had came from pruning out older wood and
keeping the plant thinner. Some say that it feels it is under threat and
makes efforts to procreate faster!
Neil

"Inge Jones" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
i pruned my forsythia hard after it had finished flowering last year but
this year the blooms are much less impressive, despite this method

producing
a fine and compact flowering display the previous year. can you prune it

too
hard? i pruned it harder the last time as it was still growing too fast

and
blocked the light in summer.

chaz

I think it flowers on the older wood, so if most of what it is now was
newly grown last year, then those new bits would not have flowered