Old 12-08-2006, 11:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Tomatillo help needed

Matthew Reed wrote:

I made a bunch of this when I grew tomatillos a couple of years ago. It's
very tasty, and it won a blue ribbon at the county fair.

Tomatillo Salsa Verde

6 1/2 pounds tomatillos -- chopped large
1 1/2 pounds mixed green chiles
1/2 pound chopped yellow onion
1 cup lemon juice or vinegar [I used white vinegar]
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. dried oregano
2 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. whole black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large covered saucepan and cook over low heat
until mixture begins to boil; simmer for 20 minutes, stirring
occasionally. Liquefy with a "stick blender" and bring back to a boil.
Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and
process in a steam pressure canner at 10 pounds for 20 or 25 minutes for
pints or quarts, respectively. Makes about 8 pints.

Awesome, thanks for the recipe and detailed instructions. I have about 500
quart and pint jars in my basement, and I'm going to fill as many as I can

When do you harvest the tomatillos? How do you tell if they are ready to
pick?

When they are fully ripe, they fall off. I like to pick them a little
before that. Pick them when the paper husk cracks and the fruit inside
is starting to yellow a little (but it'll still be green, not really
yellow) and you'll be pretty close.

I used mixed jalapeno and serrano peppers when I made it.

Bob