Old 12-08-2006, 11:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Joe[_3_] Joe[_3_] is offline

Default Tree Root Problem

I've got tree roots from a maple tree growing dangerously close to a
concrete slab and was hoping someone might have an effective way of
dealing with an issue like this short of swinging the axe. Chainsaws
and grinders in my experience haven't been too effective. The link
below shows the problem and thanks very much for any ideas.

http://home.nctv.com/ajns/roots.jpg

Go to a local metal shop and order some plate aluminum or stainless steel.
Make it 12" "deep" by around 3-4' long and manually insert them right up
against the concrete and even with the top of the dirt. Roots can't get
past solid metal.

Not really frugal cost-wise if you're not a long term resident, but just
about permanent.

I have one of these at my home now if you want me to shoot a photo...

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?
http://tinyurl.com/5apkg