Old 12-08-2006, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Rhododendron arboreum

On 12/8/06 23:01, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 11/8/06 19:55, in article
, "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's in one of the Brodick Castle rhodo collections;

They also have r arboreum at Arduaine

Do you think they do mail order and could or would send
me some?

Both Brodick and Arduaine are old collections so the rhodos in their
woodlands are huge. Brodick does have a plant sales area but (since the
rhododendron expert left) they don't propagate rhodos any more afaik
(and they don't do mail order). AFAIK Arduaine doesn't do plant sales or
mail order.

OTOH you could contact the head gardeners at both, and ask. Since
it's for a nursery they might be happy to arrange a swap. Brodick's HG
is Colin Totti and I think but am not sure that Arduaine's is still
Maurice Wilks.

Many thanks. I'll concentrate on establishing the name of the plant we saw
and take it from there with the suggestions you give. What knocks me out
about these plants is the scent they can give. Bearing in mind that I grew
up in the CIs and started my gardening interest there, I have come late to
the joys of these Rhodos and just cannot imagine why they have never been a
Big Interest in e.g. Jersey, where Camellias are enormously popular. Rhodos
are there, of course but not in anything like the quantities they could be.
Perhaps Camellias were considered more 'exotic'? I know that two women from
Jersey have been particularly prominent in the Camellia Society but why the
comparative neglect of the Rhodo, I wonder?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk