Old 13-08-2006, 04:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
Andrew Ostrander Andrew Ostrander is offline

Default Help, hornworms!!!!!!!!

Google confirms what I thought: tomato hormworms are the caterpillars of a
large and beautiful moth. They do not winter in the soil. Google articles
also say that hornworms are large and can be easily picked off. I suspect
that you do not have hormworms at all. Do you see large caterpillars with
horns???

"cathych" wrote in message
ups.com...
Every year I am beseiged by tomato hornworms. This year I faithfully
used diamotateous earth, thinking that of course, this would eradicate
the problem. Well, several days ago, my cherry tomatoes, my peppers,
(all different kinds), as well as my larger tomatoes were full of
blooms, really loving the hot rainy weather. Today I went out & checked
for any developing cucumbers, & guess what? All of the blooms had been
EATEN entirely, there is not a single one of them left. How can I get
rid of these things once & for all? I have been changing out my potting
soil entirely each growing season, thinking that this might have been
the problem, but apparently they are living somewhere.