Old 13-08-2006, 02:49 PM posted to rec.ponds
Stephen Henning Stephen Henning is offline

Default Algae problem. Help!

"DK" wrote:

One problem that I face now is the emergence of numerous free-floating
clumps of green algae every afternoon (after strong sunlight) which I would
scoop out manually using a net on a long pole. It is very irritating but
strangely, if left alone these clumps of algae seem to disappear by
nightfall. Beats me. What are these actually ? Are they called algae scum
(read it somewhere) and how do they come about ? Are there anyone out there
who have experienced the same predicament & how did you deal with it ? The
filter of the UV filter gets clogged up very quickly too. Wonder if the
reason could be the size of the pump or something else.

It sounds like you are doing a great job with your pond.

This is usually referred to as "fuzzy algae". Its grows on the pond
bottom walls. As it grows, the algae gives off oxygen that becomes
entrapped in the mat of strands. This gives it buoyancy and may cause
pieces to rise to the surface during the day and sink and night.

This fuzzy algae on the walls and the bottom is a beneficial algae. For
optimum health of the pond, about an inch of beneficial algae should be
present all around the pond walls. Do not remove this beneficial algae.
Just remove the floating pieces. If you have fish, they may be
disturbing the algae and breaking it off.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6