Old 13-08-2006, 12:38 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default what tree is this?

"pc" wrote in message
ups.com...
hi everyone,

I am trying to identify a palm tree in our backyard. It's non fruiting
and has long thorns at the base of the leaves. The old fallen off
leaves don't trim flush with the trunk but rather leave a tough stub
about 6 inches long.

Currently the tree is about 20 feet tall, 4 feet diameter at the base
and 3 feet diameter beneath where the leaves start.

Anyone have any idea what tree this is?

Cheers,

eddiec :-)

Sounds like a Washingtonia aka Cotton Palm or Fan Palm. Do an image search
on www.google.com for "Washingtonia robusta" and "Washingtonia filifera".

People here try to sell them for $500 or more. Others try to give them away.
Yet more bite the bullet and pay a tree lopper to cut it down. Yet another
$10 plant the costs you heaps to get rid of.

Untrimmed Washingtonia's provide the perfect habit for rats to nest and
breed.

Cheers

Richard