Old 13-08-2006, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default sumac

Clematis might bloom just a little bit the first year, more the second year,
and the third year is rock & roll time. It never ends unless you kill it.
They look a little ratty after frost kills the leaves, but the wind blows a
lot of them off the vines. If not, you can usually brush them off by hand,
or with a whisk broom. Remember whisk brooms? :-)

"readandpostrosie" wrote in message
sun most of the day.............
NO, i don't hate my neighbors, actually i like them very much.
BUT, i LOVE my privacy.

i will look into the clematis,,,,,,,,,,,,they just seem so slow to grow!

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"readandpostrosie" wrote in message
we have a large wooden fence covering up a neighbors house, and i wish
to use plantings to cover the fence.
how does using sumac sound? is it incompatible with other plantings?

Sumac's a very cool plant, from a distance, especially if you have 17
acres and it's at the edge where you don't care that it takes over an
acre of its own. Have you noticed that along highways, it becomes a sumac
forest? :-) I'd avoid it.

How about clematis? There are so many varieties, and it's easy to grow,
***IF*** you do a nice job of preparing the planting holes. I wouldn't
buy from this place because they tend to be overpriced, but go to
www.waysidegardens.com, search for "clematis", and check out the
pictures. You should be able to find a few varieties locally, and someone
here can probably recommend a mail order dealer or three.

How much sun does the area get?