Old 13-08-2006, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] chessdave@hotmail.com is offline

Default honeysuckle

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article .com,
writes:

| I have a lovely honeysuckle which flowered very well during the spring.
| There are nice berries on it now. However a few days ago the leaves
| started to fall off. Is this normal or do I have a problem. Please
| help!

Without knowing the species, it is hard to say, but quite likely not.
If the weather returns to warm and dry, and the berries DON'T then
shrivel up, definitely not. It will almost certainly return next year.

Most honeysuckle are deciduous and, while this is very early for them
to drop leaves, the hot, dry July may have caused them to do that.
A large number of deciduous plants drop leaves in response to water
stress as well as cold. In hotter, drier countries, some plants lose
their leaves ONLY in summer!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanx Nick. The berries are very bright and full and possibly gets
watered too much. I am just a bit shocked that all the leaves have
fallen so early in the year.